Are you looking to buy a hoverboard online? Are you worried about how to find reputable online sellers and not scammers? Take a read and learn some of the warning signs when buying a hoverboard through an online retailer. We are going to discuss how to make sure you are buying a hoverboard from a reputable online site.
Examples of Hoverboard Online Scams and Unreputable Sites Selling Hoverboards
Questionable sellers are not only based out of foreign countries such as China. They are right here at home in Canada as well. And you should be on the lookout.
Scam sites are not just about taking your money and not delivering. Scams can also include online sellers that sell defective products or carry fake UL labeling. These defective hoverboards can cause fires. And based on customer reports, if you have a problem with your hoverboard the seller refuses to respond to your requests for service. These are also sellers who do not provide warranties or support after you have bought your hoverboard. Your warranty is only as good as the company backing it up.
Hoverboard Scams in Canada
The Better Business Bureau occasionally warns of companies that they continuously get adverse reports and negative reviews about. The BBB even warned of a scooter scam by a company here in Canada.
The company in question has a well-designed website and social proof of buyers for their scooters on their website. So, it looks very legit. But, persons ended up paying for goods they never received. The ones that did receive their hoverboards get defective goods that they are unable to return. Plus, they are not able to contact anyone at the company – not by phone, email, social media, webchat. Nothing.
And a second online hoverboard retail business in Canada was identified as a scam. This site has an online trust rating of only 30% by Scamadviser and there are multiple reports of buyers unable to contact anyone at the business after they have bought defective hoverboards.
But, when you think about these experiences and the details of the scam provided by the BBB, it actually gives you a blueprint of how to vet reputable online companies that sell self-balancing boards.
How to Buy Safe Hoverboards Online
Here are some of the signs to look for when buying a hoverboard online.
- Accessibility: The company selling the hoverboard should be easily accessible. When you call, someone should answer. Or, they have some other easy means for you to contact them.
- Customer Reviews: If a business or company has mostly negative reviews online, then you should be careful of buying a hoverboard from them.
- The Website Details: One of the factors that Google uses to rank websites is how long it has been published and the length of time bought for hosting. Granted, new businesses may not have the resources to purchase hosting for more than a year, but if the site is young, has multiple negative reviews, and does not look like it will be around for a while, then you need to reconsider your purchase.
- Age and Reputation of the Company: If a company has been in business for a while, even if they are newer in the hoverboard market, they would have built up a reputation over time. For example, at Brents Cool Picks, we have been in business since 1993. And though we do not pay to have a full profile on BBB, our primary company holds an A+ rating on BBB.
- The Type of Hoverboard: You should not consider businesses selling hoverboards that do not come with UL certifications for the battery pack and charger. And if the price seems too low for a quality hoverboard, it probably is.
- “Hoverboards for cheap“: If the price is too good to be true, it probably is. Hoverboard prices have come down. But, to get a quality hoverboard that is safe and will not explode it won’t come ‘cheap’.
Where Can I Buy a Safe Hoverboard in Canada?
There are hundreds of places to buy a self-balancing scooter online, and many of them are scams or unsafe places to make purchases. But, you can buy safe hoverboards online if you know where to look and what are the warning signs. And when you do, you can get high-quality hoverboards at a great price online.
If you would like more information about purchasing a hoverboard from Hoverboards Online in Canada, you can always call at 1-800-661-8789.
If you have bought a hoverboard before, what has been your experience? Tell us in the comments below.